Question
Posted by: Visitor | 2012-06-20

Other people''s life experiences

Reading on this site can affect people in so many different ways. I see so many painful stories here - sometimes I feel I should count my blessings coz so many fellow human beings are going through so much worse than me.

But sometimes I get discouraged. A young man of 24 responded to a post about a cheating wife and he said " I AM NEVER GETTING MARRIED, NEVER" . And that''s my sentiment exactly. There is so much pain in relationships and marriage - why would I want that for myself. I am better off.

There can indeed be pains in relationships - but so, too, there are pains in being isolated and tryign to avoid relationships. There can be pleasure in being alone, and within relationships. The challenge in life is in developin the skills needed to do both effectively.

2
Posted by: Maria | 2012-06-20

Reading posts can give you a skewed view of the world, as people who are happy and coping well with life will rarely feel the need to post about that.

Let me give you a different view from my perspective. I was so, so scared of getting married, having been single and very independent my whole adult life, into my 30''s. I got married at 34, and it been an incredible experience being married to a man who is my friend, partner, generous and an great dad. There are people like that out there.

Having said that, it''s entirely possible to live a rich and rewarding life on your own and I think it''s a valid life choice, as long as you don''t make it out of fear.

Reply to Maria