Question
Posted by: Jenny | 2012/04/23

Other peoples kids

I''ve been going through a very difficult time. My brother, who I worked with for the past 16 years died suddenly end of last year. Same time that I had a baby (I have a toddler as well). Work has also been very stressful, because I''ve had to take over most of his responsibilities at work. My husband and I are having problems but are starting marriage councelling next month. He has been diagnosed bipolar 13 years ago, but suddenly decided last year he is not, and went off his medication. He tried to commit suicide last month by stabbing himself, and our toddler saw it. But through everything that happened I''ve been quite strong, and coping well, even though I''m very sleep deprived, because the baby wakes often.

But something I''m not coping with is that it seems if I open a magazine, or read news, or go to social media or actually anywhere on the internet I read/hear about peoples kids dying. It is always such heart wrenching stories, and I can''t stop crying about it or thinking about it. It gives me headaches and makes me feel like I can''t breathe. I''m am so extremely worried that anything is going to happen with my kids. How on earth do I get over this?

Its often the case that we can cope remarkably well with individual challenges to our status quo, but when 2 or more ( and in your situation several more ) such events combine over a short space of time, this can overwhelm out coping capacity. This doesn't mean we're weak, or that we wont manage to cope, but they we're temporarily overwhelmed, and may deserve somme more support and help.
Sounds like, over-all, you've been coping remarkably and commendably well, but as though you may have been developing, understandably, an anxiety disorder which is complicaing things. Having experienced convincing events showing unexpected and alarming tragedies, you have focussed away from those, and on alternative suddent tragedies, which though highly unlikely to happen, still feel convicingly dangerous.
Do think of seeing a counsellor for a short time, to help refocus your concentration, and to regain control over this unhelpful degree of anxiety and sense of risk.

1