Question
Posted by: Anne Dyer | 2011/06/28

Ostopenic bones

Dear Sir/Madam
I have just had x-rays and the result states that I have ostopeonic bones. My back is painful on the right hand side from the shoulder all the way down to the hip and the ribs on my right hand side are very painful. Could this pain result from osteopenic bones?

Thanking you.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Anne
Osteoporosis or osteopenia is usually not painful unless you have a fracture. Also remember that x-rays are too inaccurate to pick up osteopenia and you'll have to have a bone density scan done to confirm the diagnosis. The pain you experience could be from oste-arthritic changes in the back