Question
Posted by: JO | 2010/04/13

Osteoporosis Risk

Hi, l suffered from anorexia for a good 7 years and am now fully recovered. i had my boned tested at the time and at the tender age of 19 l had the bones of an 8o year old. Scary. Now, nearly 10 years down the line, l am very active, do strength training and cardio 5 days a week and drink milk everynight before bed. Also eat yoghurt and recently started taking Caltrate chewables. Eat lots of veg and generally healthy. I know l need a proper bone density test done but is there a chance that my bones have " recovered" - l do hope so. Am l on the right track ? thanks

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Jo
If you weight is now ok and you are menstruating normally then you have probably done your bones the world of good already. Unfortunately it does need an expert to interpret a 19 year old's bone density and I think they may have overinterpreted your score! Maybe you can phone me at the foundation so that I can get a litlle more information from you to be able to make an informed comment? tel 021 9317894. Your diet and exercise regime sounds good- just remember that this is not the only way to combat osteoporosis if you have had anorexia. Your BMI needs to be at least 20 and you need to menstruate normally.

1
Posted by: Healthy Bones | 2010/04/15

Dear Jo

Reply to Healthy Bones