Question
Posted by: Nelly | 2010/08/19

Osteoporosis

I am in my early 40''s. I have cervical spondylosis + osteathritis in my neck. There is a history of osteoporosis and arthristis in my family. I am concerned about developing osteoporosis. Can you please advise how I can try prevent this? Also does this cause curviture of the spine or is that caused from something else. I seem to feel that there is some curvitore in my neck. It feels like my neck bone sticks out. Should I go for a bone density test? I am not on medical aid so don''t want to spend money unnecessary.

Hallo Nelly
It may be a good idea to go for a bone density test with your family history and symptoms. Osteoporosis can cause a curve in the upper back but xray may be needed to determine the cause if it is more in the neck area.
Osteoporosis can be prevented by taking enough calcium and vit D and regular weight bearing exercise.
dr Bets

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/08/19

Hallo Nelly
dr Bets