Question
Posted by: C | 2010/08/13

Osteoporosis

My mother and grandmother both had/have osteoporosis. My mum has regular bone density tests done. I am now 40 years old and until today have never taken a calcuim supplement. My mother lives overseas and everytime I see her she reminds me that I should be taking some supplements.

I bought Caltrate Plus today and will start taking them regularly. I have very very strong nails, everyone always comments how white they are (all natural - no tips added on lol). My hair is and always has been in good condition. I know its better to be safe than sorry, but my mum always jokes and says that I took all her calcium when she was pg with me, as since my birth she suffered with brittle nails etc. Could this be a possiblity?? I personally dont feel that I NEED extra calcuim at the moment but will take the supps anyway. If I was prone to oestoporosis, what signs what I need to look out for. I am quite small and slim build, so I know this is another factor to consider.

Many thanks

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear C
It is a fact that a family history of osteoporosis is considered a risk factor for developing osteoporosis. Regarding calcium intake-if you consume approximately 1000mg of dairy in your diet per day, you don't need calcium supplements. In total (diet and supplements) your intake should be +/- 1000mg/day. Also get enough exercise (walking briskly 5km 3x/week)don't smoke and drink alcohol moderately ( not more than 3 drinks per day). Unfortunately osteoporosis does not have any symptoms, but if you do all the above, still menstruate regularly, you are ok for the moment. You can also coantact the Osteoporosis Foundation on 021 9317894 to send you some information.

2
Posted by: Hilda Kruger | 2010/10/25

I am a 76year-old woman, and I have always been very healthy.
In March of this year I was diagnosed with Asthma and given Cortisone inhalents to take morning and night.
I must add that as a result of leg pains at night, which I had been having for some years, and was able to subdue by flexing my leg muscles and holding them totally stretched for as long as possible, which then enabled me to sleep, I had started on a regular exercise session every morning. This made a big difference. I weigh 50 kg, don''t smoke &  take no other medicine.
I am lactose intolerant, and taking cortisone and although I take calcium supplements I am a bit worried this is not enough.

Reply to Hilda Kruger
Posted by: Healthy Bones | 2010/08/17

Dear C

Reply to Healthy Bones