# 5th metatarsal bone in foot - twisted foot while walking on uneven surface (a screw was put in) and # 5th metacarpal bone in hand - grabbed falling coffeemug. Mother (74) has osteoporosis, I am 48. Do I have to go for a bone density test?

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear A
A family history of osteoporosis is a definite risk factor for osteoporosis and if you are going into the menopause, it is not a bad idea to have one. Especially as a baseline reading to determine whether you need to go on HRT (if you want to). If you are still menstruating normally and have no other risk factors, you can wait until you are going through menopause. In the meantime you can ensure a calcium intake of at least 1000mg per day and do weightbearing exercise like walkin for 3/4 of an hour at least 3 times per week.