Question
Posted by: Jopake | 2008/08/24

osteoporosis

I am 40 and was diagnosed with osteoporosis a year ago. I was on the contraceptive pill for more than 20 years (started for bad period pain which has recurred since stopping the pill - both between and during periods), and wonder if the osteoporosis is related to stopping the pill and maybe having a deficiency of hormones after being on the pill for so long?? I am not underweight, have always been active and done a good amount of exercise, and eaten calcium, so I was not expecting this diagnosis. The only reason I was tested was because I was interested in a research project for calorie restriction, optimal nutrition. I didn' t get my osteoporosis from this as I hadn' t started the trial.

Interested in your thoughts.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Jopake
I need a little more inf from you to be able to really help here. Would it be possible to contact me at the national Osteoporosis Foundation tel 021 9317894. I would like to have a look at your scan too- maybe you can fax that to me at 021 9317075.