Posted by: Anna Olivier | 2009-08-24

My grandmother &  mother suffered from osteoporoses. What are my chances of having the same proplem?

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Anna
You have quite a strong familu history of osteoporosis and it is considered to be a strong risk factor for osteoporosis. You have to therefore make sure that your diet contains at least 1000mg of Calcium/day, do weight bearing exercise at least 3x per week, don't smoke and limit alcohol intake to 2 drinks per day. If you have a normal menstruation pattern and are healthy, there is no need to ask for a bone density measurement before you reach the menopause. Around this time it would be agood idea to have a bone density done as a baseline measurement as you can lose bone rapidly within the first 5 years of the menopause-especially if you don't take HRT (not suitable for all).
You can also contact the National Osteoporosis Foundation on 021 9317894 for more information on osteoporosis.