Question
Posted by: Shelly | 2009-07-02

Osteopenia and heartburn

am 44 years old have osteopenia and have been taking Osteobon 70 for 9 mnths now and the last month or so get heartburn that wakes me up at night. I take this medication as instructed by the Dr once a week on a empty tummy with a full glass of water and then sit up or walk around for an hour before I have anything to eat or drink. I then went to my pharacist and said said I need to just take 2 Rennies after the tablets. But surely that will cancel the Osteobon out. I have had 2 Bone density in the last 2 years and the final readings were: Total T value of left hip -1.3. and the Lumbar spine L1 to L4 examined T value varies from -0.6 to 1.2 with a total of -0.9. I have had a hysterectomy 12 weeks ago but my overies are still working 100%, so I take no hormones. At the moment I walk on the treadmill 3X a week for 40 minutes and will start with weights when the swelling of my operation on my tummy goes down. I take one Calcibon calcium supplement which you get with the Osteobon in the morning. My gran had osteoporis and her hip and ribs were eventually rubbing together. The Dr put me on Alendronate Sodium tabs because I have a family history. I am so young how can I prevent this going further as the Dr has taken me off the Osteobon and given me Adco Omeprazole for the heartburn that I need to take for a month. What natural way can I go to prevent osteoporis later in life or have I left this too long. The only time i took calcium was when I was pregnant that is 18 and 15 years ago. I am about 5kg over weight so that can'  t be causing the heartburn. .

Expert ImageNatural health

hi

you should have your vitamin D blood levels checked. Alot of South Africans are vitamin D deficient. Vitamin D helps to increase osteoclasts (to make more bone). If these levels are below 50 then use a D3 1000iu supplement daily. Also use a calcium that is as close to food as possible (in a food form). Avoid acidic foods, fizzy drinks and too much sugar as these leaches calcium from the bones.

Dr Debbie
www.drdebbie.co.za