Question
Posted by: Seetha | 2011/03/04

OSTEOPENIA &  FOSADVANCE

Hi Doc,

I am a 46 years old, small framed Indian female of mass 40kg. My body mass index is about 17. Period is very regular, but I have an iron deficiency (stores). I''ve just had another DEXA scan, and it indicated osteopenia throughout the skeleton. The previous DEXA, done 10 years ago, also indicated osteopenia. I have been taking 600mg Calcium daily since. The neck and spinal bones are at greater risk, as their T-Scores are about -2.1. I also did a FRAX calculation, which revealed a 3.7% risk of major fracture and 0.8% hip fracture within 10 years. I am active doing weight bearing exercises and yoga.
Here are my questions:
1). Should I take bisphosphonates (fosadvance)? Can I take one tablet over a two week period instead of the typical 1 week period?
2). I''ve been taking Calcium Carbonate, but due to my iron difficiency am considering taking calcium citrate. What you you recommend?
3). My GP recommended a IV iron transfusion of venofer. I am worried about the side effects (ashtma attack and anaphylactic shock). What is your opinion of this treatment?

Many Thanks.

Seetha

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Hi Seetha Apologies for the delay in replying-Maybe you can rather phone me at the osteoporosis foundation - I need some more info. Also- Fosavance is used in the treatment of established osteoporosis- not in osteopenia. Also- with your small frame you already start of with have less bone which is probably quite normal for you and I would not recommend active therapy at this stage, but to rather continue with your diet and exercise regimen and to evaluate your bone density in 18 months time. You seem to be doing all the right things with regards to your bone health- calcium citrate is better absorbed but more expensive and less readily available than the carbonate. I know too little about your iron therapy to make an intelligent comment.

1
Posted by: Seetha | 2011/03/04

Hi Doc,

I also just read a research paper on Nitroglycerine Ointment for building bone density. Is this treatment widely available and is it something that I could consider?

Thank you very much.

Seetha

Reply to Seetha