Question
Posted by: Shelly | 2011-10-26

osteopenia

I am 46 years old had a my 2nd bone density have got osteopenia in my left hip readings are 0.711 -1.2 and -1.2 and the total hip 0.788 -1.3 and -1.3. (Tghis is all in afrikanns not sure what the reading mean) I am seeing a bioinetinist, have had a hystrectomy and am on no hormones but I find the calcium tablets really cements the tummy and block the system I have tried a few. I am now taking 1 solal Vit D3 500iu daily and have started on Nature Fresh Calcium and Magesium complex powder 1 teaspoon at bedtime. Will this be enough calcium support as I want to prevent it going into Osteoporisis as my Granny had it very bad the hip and the ribs were soon rubbing on one another. I eat a normal diet and am about 6 kg over weight.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Shelley
Your BMD readings are actually quite close to normal and an adequate calcium intake of +/- 1000mg/day as well as at least 800IU vit D/day plus weight bearing exercise like walking is waht you need to do at this stage. Cod liver oil capsules are probably a bit cheaper and contain more vit D than the Solal I think. If they left the ovaries you are still probably ovulating normally and don't need hormones at this stage. You can also contact the Osteoporosis Foundation on 021 9317894 for more info.