Question
Posted by: Ina van Rooyen | 2009-11-05

Osteopenia

I have been diagnosed with osteopenia and osteoporosis, I would like to know what the best treatment is. I am on Warfarin , have an over active thyroid gland . I am 53 years of age. Have an active life style.

Dear Ina
I trust that your physician is treating you for both the osteoporosis, the osteopenia and the over-active thyroid. The dr will prescribe the necessary medications for all 3 conditions (e.g. calcium supplements for the bone conditions, possibly also oestrogen replacement therapy if this indicated, etc). From a dietary point of view, the most important nutrients to prevent and counteract osteoporosis are calcium, phosphorus, vitamin D and fluoride. To boost your calcium, phosphorus and vit D intake you need to have 4 cups of milk or yoghurt or cottage cheese a day (use low-fat varieties if you want to avoid the fat content of full-cream milk). Make a habit of exposing your skin to the sun for 20 min a day because the human body produces vit D when the skin is exposed to sunlight. Discuss the use of fluoride tablets with the dr who is treating your for the osteoporosis. In some areas the water contains enough fluoride, while in other areas of the country the fluoride content of the water is very low, so the dr will have to advise if you need to take fluoride or not.
Doing weight-bearing exercises every day also helps to strengthen bones.
I do hope that you and your dr will be able to halt the bone loss and also treat your hyperthyroidism.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2009-11-06

Dear Ina