Posted by: Bev | 2009-03-19

Osteoarthritis=tai chi

Hi there,

I have been doing Tai Chi since 2006....had an othroscopy op on knee....I now suffer from what I am told osteoarthritis...however the pain is more in the right groin than anywhere else. Would Tai Chi aggravate this condition? Sometimes I come away with no pain other times I do. I absolutely love this art, especially our Tai Chi teacher, Shirje Fiona at Fish Hoek.

Bev Torrington

Expert ImageTai Chi expert

Hi Bev,

Many people with osteoarthritis (OA) in their knees or hips don’t move around enough to loosen up those achy joints or gain the other health benefits of being physically active. Several studies have shown that strength training and aerobic exercise can improve pain, physical function and the general health of people with knee OA. This is great, but for sedentary people who are in pain, the idea of lifting weights or taking a brisk walk may seem like too big a step to take.

While the benefits of exercise for patients with osteoarthritis are well documented, the type of activity and intensity of exercise that is recommended for relief from painful arthritic joints remains unclear. Lately, the ancient Chinese practice of tai chi has been growing in popularity. Patients find this low-impact workout helps to reduce arthritis pain and improves muscle function. Research among the elderly who have balance disorders shows that the various forms of tai chi can restore balance and help reduce falls. Tai chi has also been shown to improve bone density in women, increase flexibility, and build muscle mass.

Keep up your Tai Chi training. You get some very good Osteo and Arthritis medicaton and Dischem pharmacies which will assist you in your quest to better health.

Take Care,