Posted by: sam | 2011-05-04

My wife is 55 and started suffering from a very sore knee about 6 weeks ago. The doctor refered her to a specialist, and he axamined the xrays and said there were signs of the begining of osteoarthritis.

He suggested inserting ascope to investigate further.

I have read up on the internet about diet and lifestyle changes etc.

Questions we should have clarified :

Would the scope be of advantage to indicate some form of treatment that could be followed to slow the process ?

What are the advantages of getting the scope procedure ? (as oposed to waiting a few months to see what happens ?)

Is excersizing (i.e. walking or jogging) going to be of benefit or detriment ? - She enjoys her walking and occasional jog.

Does long term running have any effect on the cause of OA ? (I have been a runner for about 20 years and am now worried thsi may cause OA ?)

What would you reccomend in the short an d medium term for my wife ? I accept you have minimum information on her current status.

A scope of the knee will be very beneficial to identify the cause of pain and discomfort. With a scope of the knee, treatment can be started immediately, where the articular surfaces are "shaved", thus improving mobility and most probably curing her symptoms. If you postpone treatment, it can worsen her condition.

Exercise will be detrimental at this stage. She should avoid stress bearing exercise on the knee. She can do yoga etc.

Unfortunately, long term running can cause osteoarthritis, as a lot of stress is placed on the pelvis, hip joints, knee joints, ankle joints and foot bones.

She should avoid stress bearing activities on the knee. If she is experiencing pain, she can use an analgesic with rest of the knee, elevation of the knee and an ice pack placed on the knee.