Question
Posted by: sam | 2011/05/03

Osteoarthritis

My wife is 55 and started suffering from a very sore knee about 6 weeks ago. The doctor refered her to a specialist, and he axamined the xrays and said there were signs of the begining of osteoarthritis.

He suggested inserting ascope to investigate further.

I have read up on the internet about diet and lifestyle changes etc.

Questions we should have clarified :

Would the scope be of advantage to indicate some form of treatment that could be followed to slow the process ?

What are the advantages of getting the scope procedure ? (as oposed to waiting a few months to see what happens ?)

Is excersizing (i.e. walking or jogging) going to be of benefit or detriment ? - She enjoys her walking and occasional jog.

Does long term running have any effect on the cause of OA ? (I have been a runner for about 20 years and am now worried thsi may cause OA ?)

What would you reccomend in the short an d medium term for my wife ? I accept you have minimum information on her current status.

Expert ImageOsteopath

Hello Sam,
The scope would be advantageous to obtain a clear picture and thus diagnosis for the knee. Waiting is also an option but it depends entirely on the individual situation. Exercise prescription is dependant entirely on the individual. Running is a big subject and an individuals body structure and fitness will generally determine whether something is good or bad. For a thorough evaluation of this I would suggest your wife consults with an osteopath.

1
Posted by: osteopath | 2011/05/23

Hello Sam,

Reply to osteopath