Posted by: Amore | 2011-10-24

It seems that Osteoartritis is quite common in our family (on my mother''s side). My mom had both her hips replaced before age 57 - and still she suffers with many discs in her back that has moved due to it. She also has pain in her knees. I''m 32 and I''m wondering if there is anything I can do to test whether I will also suffer from it in a few years time (hers started just after her 40th birthday). What can I do to prevent it? I already suffer from a auto-immuun disorder (Ulcerative colitis) and hope that doesn''t makes my chances bigger. Thank you!

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Hi Amore
You're right that OA is also inherited. Unfortunately there is not really a test you can do as most of us do get the "wear and tear" arthritis as we age. If you already have symptoms then it is probably a good idea to see a rheumatologist- otherwise a healthy diet and exercise which is not too high impact (walking is good can be done.