Question
Posted by: M.K.Appayya | 2010-12-02

Osteo Arthritis

I am 73 years old. Since the past 10 years I have developed severe Knee pain in both my legs. Last three years I have been wearing braces which have been very helpful. I play golf 2-3 times a week but of late have been taking a pain killer ''Movon'' before playing as I do develop pain otherwise. I have been advised knee replacement but would like to prolong it. Considering my age pl advice till when I could put of the knee replacement. Thanks.

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

Regarding your age you are certainly at a good age to have a knee replacement as it could more than likely last you for the rest of your life.The bottom line is that while conservative measures help go with them ( braces and anti-inflammatories). Once those don't help any longer it will be the correct time for the operation

3
Posted by: Orthopaedic Specialist Forum | 2010-12-16

Reply to Orthopaedic Specialist Forum
Posted by: P Mkhombo | 2010-12-10

I am 28 yrs old male.I have been suffering from back pain since 2007.I consulted an orthopaedic surgeon since 2008.We did MRI that found I have a disc degeneration that might cause mechanical problems.My surgeon said there was nothing he could do but prescribed a lot of inflammatory pills that never worked.In 2010 we did a bone scan that found I have early signs of arthritis or what the doc called early degenerative arthritis,he said that might be the cause of my pain.He then said there is nothing that can be done.I will then like to know if I have any other options or specialists I can consult??

Reply to P Mkhombo
Posted by: Dr M Ferguson | 2010-12-06

Firstly you need to have the diagnosis of your knee pain confirmed. If it is an osteoarthritis there is no cure for the condition and it will become progressively worse. The most successful joint replacements are performed when the pain can no longer be managed. The pain relief will be enormous and you will be able to continue playing golf.

Reply to Dr M Ferguson