Posted by: Chivaz' s mom | 2009-02-02

Oscar.. new kitten...clueless

Hi CV,
I adopted a little kitten, he' s 5 weeks old. Eating and drinking good. I only adopt BIG cats and not kittens, so I am not clued up with some stuff.
When do they get their first shots and deworming?
Can I use Advantage on him?
Do I give milk?
At what age do i have him ' fixed' ??
Is there any natural/ herbal stuff for fleas???? Like stuff that i' d have at home...
Any help will be appreciated,

Dear Chiva'z Mom

Shots at 8 weeks, advantage at 8 weeks, can use frontline spray before that, no need to give milk, fixed at 6 months. Herbal stuff do not work for fleas, any more questions, please buy a book.

Posted by: Gogga | 2009-02-05

They generally sleep, and when they wake up they want food, and then they play, and then they sleep again :-). If you are at home, you can feed him a little every time he wakes up, like every 2 hours or so. 5 weeks is very young so you might need to help him into the litterbox and wipe his bottom afterwards :-)
Enjoy your kitten, they are such a joy.

My vet says don' t give their shots before 10 weeks, otherwise they can get ill. I gave mine milk, but if you do that, just watch out for diarrhea and stop immediately if he does get diarrhea. Some cats are lactose intolerant but I find it' s not nearly as common as people say. They like milk, so why not.

Have him neutered at 6 months.

Reply to Gogga
Posted by: Chivaz' s mom | 2009-02-04

Thank you,

I stpooed over at our vet and he gave him some advantage...he is now flea free and a very happy little kitten, already uses his potty, only made one blaps...Vet said he must be fed 3 - 4 times daily but only a bit...

Thank you for the help...

Reply to Chivaz&#39 s mom
Posted by: S-S | 2009-02-03

Kittens are tons of fun and extremely entertaining!

I took my kitten to be vaccined at 8 weeks and a month later he had to go for booster shots. Neutering / spaying can happen when they' re 6 months although I have a kitten now that was neutered at 5 months.

I had the kitten dewormed at the same time he got his first vaccinations.

I use Frontline, don' t know much about Advantage as I' ve never used it. Don' t need any other flea treatment as Frontline once a month seems to be more than efficient. I have 2 cats and don' t have flea trouble at all.

No milk! Unless it' s special formulated milk for kittens.

A good scratching post and toys to keep him entertained! :)

Enjoy your kitten, they do grow up so fast and then you' ll miss the " crazy"  nature of a kitten!

Reply to S-S