Question
Posted by: BKU | 2010/05/24

Orphaned Staffy Pups

Our poor Staffy mom died 3 hours after giving birth via caesar to 6 gorgeous pups, of which 4 survived. She had a heart attack.

We are now hand-rearing the pups - unfortunately I can't do so myself but I have found a very kind lady who is looking after the little ones while they need to be bottle fed.

How long will they need to be bottle fed for? When could they come back home without me having to feed them every 3 hours, and when can they start drinking out of a saucer?

The lady looking after them does not usually charge for her services, but we are definitely going to give her something - what do you think is a reasonable rate per day to pay her for surrogating our pups?

You can begin to get the pups to drink from a saucer when their eyes open at between 2-3 weeks. Between 3-4 weeks puppies should begin to taste fine textured solid foods - I would advise a good quality premium tinned puppy food.

If they were my pups I would offer her the sale-price of one of the pups. You are very lucky to get someone to help and assist.

2
Posted by: Susan | 2010/05/25

When you are getting the pups back I suggest feeding them milko-o-pup, you can get it from a vet store.

Reply to Susan
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/05/24

Reply to CyberVet