Posted by: rene | 2009-09-09

Goodmorning expert. I am currently on oritane (generic version of roaccutane) and i want to know if it is possible to have ipl(elos machine) while on this medication. Is it safe and if it is not, what can happen if i have ipl while on oritane?
Thank you very much for a very informative and helpful forum.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Rene, thank you for the question and I am glad you are finding this forum helpful.

There are a number of contra indications when treating someone with IPL and unfortunately, Roaccutane (and its generic versions) is one of them. The reason for this is that Roaccutane increases the sensitivity of skin to any light including sun light, laser and IPL. As such it may be easier to burn the skin with resultant pigmentory changes and even possibly scarring and you should wait for 6 months after stopping the Roaccutane before starting IPL treatments.