Posted by: Racoon | 2011-09-04

original questione deleted - Babinski reflex

Dear Doc

My original post was removed/deleted. In it I asked about a Babinski reflex and lower back pain and not a rash? I was extremely worried, but have meanwhile seen the neurosurgeon, had an MRI and found a degenerated disc with small tear and herniation (to theca only) at L5/S1. So no train smash. My question - I am taking Stilpane but it is still sore when I sit for a while. Can I resume exercise? What is the prognosis? Is the joint going to collapse completely? I am 40 yo female with 3 small kids, so I need my mobility quite seriously.

I think you should direct your questions to the neurosurgeon you consulted with. It is important to know the exact result of the degenerated disc. A tear can cause severe pressure on the nerves exiting the lumbur spine. This can cause severe pain and even paralysis. The prognosis will depend on how severe the tear and herniation is. You can do exercise but preferably no weight bearing exercise that will put extra strain on your lower back. Swimming will be a good alternative and will be very safe. The pain might not resolve or be controlled by anti-inflammatory medication, like Stilpane, unless the pressure on the nerve is addressed.