Question
Posted by: Guppie | 2008/07/24

Organ donation and Lupus

I was diagnosed with SLE about a year ago. I have heard varying opinions on whether I can donate organs/blood.
My count is very low, the reumatologist doubts my organs will ever be affected: all I have is the arthralgea and fatigue.

Is there a limit of the antibodies in your blood to be able to donate?

I hope this makes sense

Hi Guppie
SLE is an autoimmune disease and it does affect your organs in some or other way. One would not want to give a patient with organe failure another organ that could cause problems in future. However, you can probably donate coreas and skin and bone!
Due to medications used for lupus ( cortisone and immune suppressants) some people's blood would not be suitable, giving regular blood may worsen lupus and you may not be able physically to tolerate regular blood donations - so blood banks will not advise lupus patients to donate.