Question
Posted by: acid_boy | 2008/08/05

orchiopexy

hi had an orchiopexy 6 years ago for intermittent testicular tortion. i was told that i would still be able to have children, but i read something about the subject that bothers me.it said that placing fine suture material through the tunica albuginea could have a detramental effect on the spermatoza. so my Questions are:
1) what do u know of this, can this render me infertile.
2)do you know if the sutures pierce the seminiferous tubles, if so what happens if they are pierced.

Dear Acid boy

In general any form of surgery involving the testis may predispose to the formation of antisperm antibodies with resultant gradual but steady deterioration of sperm parameters. My advice would be to have a semen analysis done as a baseline and if possible to have some sperm stored in cryopreservation as a backup for the future. Cryopreserved sperm may be maintained for many years (in excess of 10 years) without losing quality.

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim