Orbitrek Excercise machine

Hi, I am getting the Orbitrek Elite home excercise machine this weekend. Would you say that it is a good overall cardio workout? How long should I spend on it to start with and how long should I excercise on it daily... I am 26 and weigh about 100kg. I have just joined weight watchers as well and I am determined to lose weight.

Hi anonymous

It's not bad. I'm not convinced that in the long term it is great, simply because it's so repetitive. That might just be me though, because i find it very difficult to do something indoors and repetitive for a long time. I've no doubt that it can work, if people remain disciplined about it.

The idea is that you'd have to use it four or five times a week, 30 to 45 minutes each time. To begin with, that might be tough, so three days a week for 20 minutes is a starting point. Or even less if it proves difficult. Might be that 10 minutes is the limit at first. That's fine, provided you continue and improve.

The key is regular exercise, to give yourself a month to get fitter, then a month to get better, and then see what it looks like two months down the line.

Also, remember the value of diet - if you exercise without also eating well, it might all be wasted, so I highly recommend seeing someone to have this angle taken care of.