Posted by: EA | 2012-03-08

Oratane prolonged usage

Hi Doc. I am 29 yrs old male,I have been using oratane for acne in my neck for 7 months now. The first 3 months I was on a dosage of 40mg a day but this didn''t have much effect on my Acne. My dermatologist then moved me up to 80mg a day and I have been taking this dosage for 4 months now. My acne in the neck has now cleared up a bit but there are still acne nodules appearing. The dermatologist has now said that I can do one more month at most and no more after that. Why would treatment take so long to work. When I was a teenager my acne cleared in 3 mths. I also take Zocor a cholesterol medicine but no one can tell me if this can have a effect on the oratane''s efficiency. I use to smoke and drink moderately, a glass of wine every other night. Please tell me why would it not work and how as I am scared that I will damage my liver if I use it much longer. Thank you

If you are afraid of chronic liver damage, you can consult your dermatologist to stop the medication and ask him/her for a referral for Intense Pulse Light treatment. This treatment is very effective and has been cleared by the FDA for cystic acne.