Question
Posted by: NH | 2009-06-17

Oratane (isotretinoin) &  vit A

Dr, my daughter (18) have been using Oratane for 2 months, liver blood test was normal. I gave her a multivit for exams (2.2mg betacarotene). She developed a rash over her body, big, flat itching parts and also bruising. I stopped both threatments immediately. Does her symtoms have a connection with the treatments? If so, how long will it stay in her system? Can I give antihistamine tab?

Dear NH
You should not use Vit A with Oratane and Betacarotene is a precursor of Vit A, so Vit A toxicity is probably the cause of the rash. You did right to stop everything. Rather only use antihistamine cream if really needed. Let her dermatologist know about this and only continue Oratane after he says it is ok to.

1

I' ve tried everything, even visit dermatologist, though he prescribed creams, and roaccutaine (scared of side effects) what is my last resort, (age 32)