Question
Posted by: Janine | 2011-08-26

Oral thrush from cortisone inhaler

Probiflora Probiotics really works for me and I take it daily. However, I am Asthmatic and after being on cortisone inhalers for over 44 years I am extremely prone to oral thrush no matter how well I gargle.
Please could you let me know what can help me prevent this, anything that works (directly on the throat)? I was so bad the last time I lost my voice completely and developed sores on my voice box. I was on Canestan lozenges for a month, but now it is coming back.
thank you

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Janine

This is difficult - Some experts reckon that most of the inhaled steroid drugs are not very soluable in water - Rinsing with water may therefor not be ideal. Rather than just rinsing and gargling with water, it is recommended to use a commercial mouthwash that has a small amount of alchohol in hit. The medicines are more soluable in the alcohol and it helps to get them out of the mouth better. Of course you don’t want to swallow the mouthwash, like you can with water!

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2011-08-29

Hi Janine

Reply to pharmacist