Question
Posted by: future perfect | 2008/09/09

optisol

Hi skin doctor could you please tell what opion is about the this new optisol suncare product it has a 5 star UVA rating the ingredients is as follows Aqua (Water)  Lanolin  Titanium Dioxide  Butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane  Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate  Glyceryl Stearate SE  Ethylhexyl Palmitate  Stearic Acid  Benzophenone-3  Glyceryl stearate  PEG-100 Stearate  Glycerin  Cetyl alcohol  Prunus amygdalus dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil  Aluminia  Thermus Thermillus Ferment  Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil  Sodium Metaphosphate  Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride  Di-PPG-3 Myristyl Ether Adipate  Sorbitan Isostearate  Citric acid  Manganese Oxide I know it contains oxybenzone but the product was tested externally with nothing penetrating the skin and does not contain OCTOCRYLENE that creates free radiicals( that ages U) the website that you need to go to is wwwoxonicacom or go to wwwoptisolsundefencecom it sounds very promising so please tell me about your opion and I know it has oxybenzone and remember is is the benzonphenone that creates free radicals and not oxybenzone

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hello ‘Future Perfect’, thank you for the question.
Unfortunately I have no personal or specific information with this product however; looking at the ingredients my only concern is the benzophenone-3.
I agree with you that octocrylene can increase free radical damage with UV exposure but this has been shown to happen with concentrations of greater than 10%. I have inserted a table that identifies the 16 FDA approved sunscreen ingredients and there maximum concentrations allowed within sunscreens. From this table we can see that it is important to know both the actual ingredient used and the concentration of these ingredients. Following from this, I would not shy away from a SPF that contains octocrylene as long as its concentration is below 10%, while I would stay away from a SPF containing benzophenone-3.

FDA approves 16 active ingredients for use as over-the-counter
sunscreens
PRODUCT MAXIMUM CONCENTRATIONa
Titanium dioxide 25%
Zinc oxide 25
Aminobenzoic acid 15
Homosalate 15
Trolamine salicylate 12
Octocrylene 10
Sulisobenzone 10
Padimate O 8
Octyl methoxycinnamate 7.5
Oxybenzone 6
Menthyl anthranilate 5
Octyl salicylate 5
Phenylbenzimidazole sulfonic acid 4
Avobenzone 3
Cinoxate 3
Dioxybenzone 3