Question
Posted by: vasectomy | 2011-01-13

options please

can anyone please tell me what my options are regarding getting pregnant after a vasectomy. can we go for ivf without a reversal or artificial insemination? is a reversal absolutely necessary or are there any options besides that. also can u help with any suggestions with regards to cheaper ivf. durban is highy expensive. thank you

Dear Vasectomy

There is no reason to do the vasectomy reversal if you are considering the IVF/ICSI option. However it will still be necessary to obtain sperm directly from the testicles by means of either a testis biopsy or a needle aspiration. In both these incidences the procedure is fairly simple and relatively non-invasive and is also the most cost effective option of treatment. The price of IVF varies from centre to centre and I suggest that you make inquiries at the various centres. However when comparing prices ensure that you are looking at the global fee as various centers would quote you separately for various additional tests/investigations and the laboratory procedures which when added up would prove to be more expensive than originally expected. At our centre the total cost of an IVF/ICSI procedure all inclusive is between R26 000 and R27 000 at the moment.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim