Question
Posted by: Beetjie | 2010/04/05

Optimal Colour for studying

I''m a part time student studying law. I want to redecorate my study.

Is there any particular colour that would optimise studying?

Kind regards

The short, sharp, scientific answer is : No. There is absolutely no good evidence that any particular colour enhances anyone's study abilities.
That said, there are some principles which would probably apply - I'd think (a) be cautious about decoratibe elements that would be distracting and lure you to something outside of your studies, and (b) choose colour or colours that you personally find pleasing. It may also depend on your study style - if you tend to have a problem of getting drowsy or under-aroused when studying, maybe some brighter more stimulating colours would help ; whereas if you tend to get anxieous, tense and jumpy while studying, more restful colours might be useful.
As Purple reminds us, some people habitually multi-task, and prefer to study amidst distractions - with radio, TV, music, etc., around them. Others prefer solitude and silence.
Some folks find background music helps, and its easier to change than all colour - so high energy pop when one;s getting drowsy, and soothing classics when you're jumpy.
HMm, "feng scam" - isn't there a government department specializing in that ?

3
Posted by: HRHBeetjie | 2010/04/07

Purple defenitely hit the nail on the head with decor being used to procrastinate.

I''m actually not into Feng Scam at all, but read somewhere (long ago) that colour affects us because of the frequency that it vibrates at.

Thank you to both to Cybershrink and Purple.

Off to study now, bye bye

Reply to HRHBeetjie
Posted by: Purple | 2010/04/06

Personally, I''d avoid luminous psychedellic (sorry I can''t spell that) colours as they would be quite distracting.

I''d go for a plain colour - white, cream, mushroom, pale yellow.

I don''t think colour really affects our concentration levels while learning. I did some of my studies by correspondence and was able to study at my desk in my room, in my lounge, in my babies room while breastfeeding, in the garden, on an airoplane, in a hotel room, at airports, in libraries, and sometimes at my desk at work, and even in my car ten minutes before doors opened for the exam (though I was completely unprepared and failed that exam). So I don''t think our surroundings make too much difference, I think its more about willpower and shutting out distractions.

I''ve heard that pink makes prisoners calm, but those are the same prisons that get the prisoners outdoors and working in chain gangs, so it''s probably the physical excercise that is actually tiring them out and calming them rather than the pink walls.

Perhaps you should visit a psychologist who does career counselling and make sure that law is the right route for you. If you have a big interest in the way colours affect your learning and feng scam (oops, I mean shei), then you might find law quite stifling, as although there are large grey areas that require interpretation, some things are very black and white (no pun intended) and could bore you to tears.

If you just have a passing interest, then perhaps just do your study up in colours that you like and get on with the studying and stop using decopr to help you in your procastination.

Reply to Purple