Question
Posted by: Anne-Marie Holtzhausen | 2009-09-23

Optical Atrophy

Good day Dr

I would like to enquire about alternative treatments for optical atrophy that is done is SA. I noticed that in the article you referred to bone marrow transplant procedures that can help for a number of diseases.

My brother has AVM, during the procedures to determine if he can undergo any surgery, the pressure on his brain increased dramatically. After the procedure he went blind. Over the last passed months he has shown some improvement, but now it is fading again - his doctor notified us that he will not be able to see again. Can adult stem cell procedures be done for vision in SA? Than also if you can give us any details of a Dr that we can contact.

Anne-Marie

Expert ImageStem Cell Guest Expert

Optical atrophy involves the destruction of the nerve cells that transmit visual signals to the brain. Stem cell therapy would be aimed at replacing the damaged nerve cells. Although much work has been done on successfully generating nerve cells from stem cells, this has not been translated into clinical practice.