Optic Nerve

In November last year one day my vision just changed and everything became bright light (like looking into direct sunlight all the time). Had tests (eyes and brain) done. Diagnosis was that because I have Lupus it was assumed I had a vasculitis in the brain which " could"  have caused the problem. The only definite thing found was that the optic nerve is " pale" . My eyesight has since then really deteriorated and now have tunnel vision and some days the light is so bright I can hardly see at all. I am now desparate as I dont know who to see and the neurologist cannot understand why I am still having a problem? Do you have any suggestions. I take methatrexate

Dear Anonymous
You need to see an eye specialist and as soon as possible. You may need aggressive immune suppressive treatment to prevent further vision loss.

how many mg of cortisone did they infuse? After getting it in Nov - March was a bit late, you should of had it straight away. Dont despair i have read that optic neuritis can repair on its own sometimes even without treatment although i would never take that chance. I find both the eye and nero to be quite confused when it comes to this as well as lupus/MS etc compared to their US counterparts, i wonder why that is... Pray about it!

Gail, I have had the cortisone treatment (5 days) in March. Have had field scans done by opthomologist who says he cannot do anything for me except monitor to it every couple of months. Neurologist says if there is any drastic change to see him - vision changes daily so where to from here. More cortisone?

Posted by: Gail | 2009-06-03

Did the neurologist not give you cortisone intravenous for 5 days anything from 500-1500 mg should take your vision back to where it was before the optic neuritis. ONeuritis seems common in women and esp if you have an auto immune disease i.e. lupus, MS, CIDP etc. I have CIDP and have had 3 episodes of optic neuritis. Did they rule MS out? You nd cortisone to treat the eyesight? speak to me further if you have more ?

Reply to Gail