Question
Posted by: Leigh Anne | 2010/08/04

Opnion on my diet

Hi Diet Doc

I am 26 yrs old, i need to lose about 30 kgs, I weigh 100 kl''s and my ideal weight is 70 kl''s. I came across a diet from a friend, can you please give me your opnion on it, i think the kilojulel content may be too low:

Breakfast: 2 eggs with 1 whole tomatoe or 250ml fat free yoghurt with cup of veggies
Lunch: 1 cup of soup with 3 provitas
Dinner: 100gr meat/chicken with 1 cup full veggies/salade.

I am must have 2 more provitas and 2 fruit for snacke between meals and drink 2.5 - 3 liters of water.
I would like to also exercise but dont know if the energy content of the diet will allow for activity?

Dear Leigh Anne
The diet you describe is a variation of the Atkins diet which is high-protein, low-carbohydrate. It is not really well balanced because for example, it does not include 3 servings of fat-free yoghurt or milk to supply you with the 1200 mg of calcium you require as an adult woman to prevent brittle bones. The low carb content will also tend to hamper your energy levels, so that you may feel tired and not be able to exercise. If you need to lose 30 kg, I would recommend that you rather consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to obtain a more balanced, slimming diet that will provide you with enough energy to do exercise. Combine the diet the dietitian will work out for you with exercise like going for walks. Start slowly for 30 min a day and then increase how fast and far you walk as you get fitter and lose weight.

2
Posted by: Rina | 2010/08/11

Go to the heart and stroke foundation website. They have a free meal planner based on the 5600 kj intake. It is healthy, it is enough and you will loose weight.

Reply to Rina

Dear Leigh Anne