Posted by: Zia | 2009-03-06

Hi Doc,

I read a previous e-mail a while back on the use of clearblue and PCOS. I also have PCOS and don' t have a regular 28 day cycle. I have been using the OvuCard OPK. It is a 7day OPK. I usually start around day 15. I find that for atleast 3 days between day 15 and day 21 I have positive results. Could I actually be ovulating or could this be a false positive as I hear when you have PCOS you have raised LH levels? My gynae has recommended that I use an OPK even though I have cycles of varying length. My cycles are between 30 to 34 days in length. Would it still be ok for me to use an OPK? Is the OvuCard OPK ok to use? I got it at Dischem.

Thank you Doc.

Dear Zia

Most OPKs use a rise in LH that occurs just before ovulation is taking place to detect and predict ovulation. However in patients who have PCOS they have an endogenously raised LH levels. This endogenously raised LH levels may give you a falsely positive result on the ovulation prediction kits. So in patients with PCOS it is advisable to rather use an ultrasound method and monitor follicular growth as a better assessment of when ovulation is going to take place.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo