Posted by: scared | 2009-04-08

opinion on meds

i suffer from bipolar.i have had 2 manic episodes so far and then experienced terrible lows after my last episode. my psyciatrist prescribed 10mg lexamil and 400mg epilim.after having taken lexamil for 3-4 months now i feel that its effect has worn not even sure if it helped or am i still experiencing highs and lows. some days are ok but others are harder to get through as i feel lethargic and cannot concentrate.i was initially on a higher dosage of 20mg but we mutually agreed to decrease it as it made me feel out of sorts and slowed down my thinking process. ive considered going to another psychiatrist for a 2nd opinion on my meds but am not sure how i will be received.whats your opinion on my meds?

This does indeed sound like a bipolar disorder. Some people achieve complete control with medication ( and they may have to try several before finding the meds and dosasges which best suit them ) ; most achieve very useful improvement and a useful degree of control, even if there are sttill some variations in mood. A second opinion is a fair idea, and any good psychiatrist indeed doc of any sort, ought to accept and assist with this. There are many different meds, at different doses and in different combinations, which could be helpful. Have you, as a first step, asked your current psychiatrist to re-review the situation ?

Posted by: scared | 2009-04-23

yes i' ve discussed the variations in my moods with my doc who said its quite normal as it dont reach the extreme. meaning im not totally depressed but do hit a low and im still in control. the problem is that i didnt experience these shifts in mood prior to my second relapse .im still using the same meds. shall i go for a second opinion or just try to get use to the " new"  me?

Reply to scared