Posted by: Susie | 2009-08-31

Hi Doc,

My daughter and her boyfriend go on drinking binges on weekends. I worry about this, should I say something to them (and if so how to go about it) or keep my opinion to myself?

In the past I have told my daughter not to visit me when she is hung over. I am a non drinker and their behaviour upsets and worries me.

On the other hand I do realized that they are adults (both 28) and they have their own lives to lead.

Perhaps I am over reacting?

Surprisingly many people seem to fancy that binge drinking, nomatter how severe, is somehow not alcoholism, when it very often is. Alcoholism includes many forms of alcohol abuse, including binging, and doesn't need daily abuse. it is natural and helpful for families to refuse to condone or wencourage aberrant drinking, including refusing to see their family member when drunk or hung-over. Yes, as adults, they have the right to be foolish, but also the right to receive good advice, whether or not they take it when they need it.
Wise Owl's comments make excellent snse

Posted by: WIse Owl | 2009-08-31

Sorry about that. As a parent you will ALWAYS be concerned with your child' s ( even at 28 !) worrying behavior. Personally I would speak my mind and tell her how she is ruining her health and will pay dearly for it later on in life. Show her the responses you get from your query. Its often a good idea to write her a letter, its a lot less confrontational and gives you an opportunuity to :spill your guts"  The written woird is very powerful. Good luck to you Mom

Reply to WIse Owl