Posted by: Patient | 2009-07-14

I recently had a knee op, but wasnt allowed to wear underwear except for the hospital panties supplied. When I woke my gown was just draped over me and not tied, and my pantie strings were also re tied. 1. Do they leave you naked in theatre ?
2. Do they sterilise your whole body, and therefore have to remove your cover. ? 3. Do they do any examination before the op that would need you naked ? 4. Is it standard procedure to remove your hospital clothes for hygeine reasons ? Thank you for your forum

Dear Patient
No you are not naked, you are thoroughly covered in sterile green theatre sheets - they may however remove some of the clothing as it is not sterile, and put it back on after the operation.
They normally only sterilize the area of skin around the operation and about 2feet above and below.
They may need to put in a urine catheter during the operation, and may need to stick ECG stickers on your chest
Because theaters are kept at a low temperature to prevent bacterial growth, patients will never lie uncovered - you will become hypothermic if uncovered!
dr Bets