Posted by: introvert | 2009-08-20

open plan office

up until now i' ve had the privilege (yes I do recognize that it' s been a huge privilege) of having a private office. however, today I heard that a new girl is coming to work here, and she will be getting my office so would I be so " kind"  as to move to a kind of open-plan office system. with lots of noisy, extrovertal, irritating people. I' m so stressed about this prospect that i' m actually considering to leave here. My job requires intense, unbroken concentration and anyway, I' m an extremely private, shy, introverted person. I' m getting anxious even when I have to make a telephone call with somene in the vicinity, or when I have to do work with someone able to see my computer screen. And no, I' m not busy with dodgy calls or computer things (as my manager kind of implied when I told her I' m not at all keen about this situation)!!!!! I' ve been like this all my life, I need a private little space to function best.
there is going to be partitions in between the desks, but not very high, obviously not sound-proof, and there will still be quite a lot of traffic moving behind me.

This new girl must be extremely important for them to disrupt the system so, for her. Have you discused this with your boss, emphasizing the need for intense and unbroken concentration for you to perform well in your tasks, and why you are so concerned about the move ? Is there an HR person or dept you can discuss this with ? And if in the end they don't respond to your concerns, fortunaely it probably won't be as bad as you dread it will be. And the suggestion of a headset and some soothing music is a good one.

Posted by: Jack | 2009-08-21

What is the legal requirements for the size of a workplace for an emplyee,,, Our company now wants to give us 1.4m x 800mm cubicles and we work in IT all day,,
Is there a legal limit

Reply to Jack
Posted by: SHY CALLER | 2009-08-21

Doc, do you have some advice? In most companies these days one is in an open plan area - even up to mid managment level in some cases!

I have the same problem, I am VERY shy to speak to clients on the phone when I think someone else can hear me. The noise is distracting but it is a skill one has to acuire these days in the office - to ZONE OUT. But I am still very shy with phone calls where as I do not mind face to face conversations - business or social?

Posted by: Gracie | 2009-08-21

ANON - get a life .... maybe you are guilty of misbehaving and being disruptive in the office???? There are white people in my open-plan office who are more noisy than anyone else, so leave the pathetic, tired, over-used, boring race issue out of it!! Some people just function better on their own in a quiet corner ... in any event, an office is supposed to be for work, not for social gatherings and loud laughter and chatter! I also detest people invading my space when I am busy and noise is distracting to me ... my job also requires concentration and I get very irritated when I cannot concentrate due to high level of noise in the office, so please once again, this has nothing to do with the colour of anyone' s skin ... GET A LIFE!

Reply to Gracie
Posted by: Red | 2009-08-20

To the first Anon: GET OVER YOURSELF DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to Red
Posted by: CTMOM | 2009-08-20

Intro - invest is a headset and play soft music, it helps!

I agree with Anon#2 - seeing color needs to stop or we wont ever grow as a country.

Reply to CTMOM
Posted by: anon | 2009-08-20

thats not a very nice thing to say. i am black and feel exactly like into. i hate crowd and love my privacy. It' s called a social problem and not racism. you really need to catch a wake up (anon) it' s people like you the country is so messed up. and this is coming from a black person before you say anything else.

Reply to anon
Posted by: Introvert | 2009-08-20

sheeeesh!! my colour has NOTHING to do with this, please don' t jump on THAT ancient bandwagon!!!

incidentally, we are all the SAME freaking colour.

thank you, CTMOM, for that post. :-)

Reply to Introvert
Posted by: CTMOM | 2009-08-20

Why does this person automatically have to be white to enjoy a quiet working environment? Why do you assume that the black staff members are always to blame? I think you only see in color!

40 people in my open plan office, more than 3/4 are black and the only people always making a noise, as the WHITE guys in the IT section.

I hate noise, my color has nothing to do with it. I am here to work and no one can when people are messing about, making noise, chatting about their weekends loudly while I am on the phone with a client.

I feel for you Intro, I know your pain!

Reply to CTMOM
Posted by: Anon | 2009-08-20

I can tell from that that you are a white person, they are the ones always complaining about the noice the blacks are making. and they don' t like open plans. But don' t worry you will adjust.