Posted by: shona | 2011-11-08

opacification of sinus

X rays have revealed I have: complete opacification of the right frontal sinus, and complete opacification of the right maxillary antrum and the ethmoidal air cells on the right side with patchy opacification of the ethmoidal air cells on the left side. My doctors says this is very serious and wants me to see a ENT specilist asap. I only have funds again next year... how serious is this diagnosis, I have never really taken sinus things seriously... ignorant maybe :), I do have severe asthma, which has worsened and she thinks it might be connected as well? Do I pay and go now or is it not that bad? and can wait?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Shona

The only way to really examine the sinusses radiologically is to perform a CT scan. A X-Ray is not a very sensitive evaluation. Complicated sinusitis is very serious, but it may be that you are suffering from chronic problems, and this needs time to treat. If your doctor thinks it is chronic, he should treat you so long until you can see your ENT. The complicated form can not wait.
Your worsening asthma is because of the status of your sinusses that are not controlled. There is a clear link between poorly controlled asthma and uncontrolled sinusitis.
It is impossible to tell from the report how bad your sinusses are, you should ask your doctor, as he /she is treating you, and is able to examine you. The examination only can give an indication.

Posted by: Shweta | 2016-02-10

I have problem in my right maxillary sinus.there is pacification of sinus. . Is it a serious problem?? Is it leads to tumour or cancer?

Reply to Shweta
Posted by: Michele | 2012-02-20

I had an MRI done of my brain because my doctor suspected a prolactinoma on my pituitary gland (which I did have). Then out of the blue I started having problems with my ear. Went to an ENT who made me get a copy of the MRI results for him. Of course I read the report and the last lines of the findings said " opacification of the posterior right ethmoid air cell is present. The cavernous sinus demonstrates normal signal, morphology, and enhancement. The calvarium is intact, Intraorbital compartments and tympanomastoid cavities appear free of acute disease" . What does this all mean? I''m worried about the opacification of my sinus! Would an MRI pick up a polyp or a mass in my sinuses? I''m going back to the ENT this week but I''m very worried. Hopefully you can elevate my worries a little bit.

Reply to Michele