Posted by: Cindy | 2009-07-07

Oolong Tea

I was wondering about the effects, both positive and negative, of drinking oolong tea. It comes very highly recommended by Chinese people.

Dear Cindy
While some scientific research has indicated that green tea is beneficial for losing weight, I have not as yet read any articles on oolong tea. I believe oolong tea to be somewhere between black and green tea (these names indicate how much the tea leaves have been fermented), so I would surmise that oolong tea contains some of the compounds found in green tea that assist with weightloss, but not at the same levels. Oolong tea, like the other 2 variations of tea, probably also contain high levels of polyphenols which are protective against a variety of diseases of lifestyle such as heart disease and cancer.