Posted by: Hendrik | 2009-06-19

Only one kidney

1Year old baby boy had kidney removed and I would like to know how to adjust his dieet to compensate for only having one kidney. Ecspesialy interms of protiens, how mutch?

Dear Hendrik
I am so sorry to hear that you baby boy has had one of his kidneys removed. I must urge you to consult a clinical dietitian immediately because diets for patients with kidneys problems have to be worked out very carefully taking many different factors (age, weight, type of kidney problem, medications, etc) into account. This is not something I can do for you over the Internet and I am worried that no one referred you to a clinical dietitian from the beginning. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. You can also phone the Head Office of ADSA at: (011) 789-6621 or 789-1383 during office hours to find out which dietitians in your area specialise in paediatric renal diets (the sort of diet your boy needs).
Wishing you and the baby all the best.