Question
Posted by: Michelle B | 2012/01/25

Ongoing cervical problems

Dear Dr Please advise which one is more serious from my MRI Scan:

There is ankylosed fusion noted at the C7/T1 levelswith features suggestiveod fusion at the C6/C7 level as well. The alignment is maintained. The cervical cord has mantained volume and signal. The posterior fossa and it''s contents are normal.

There is multilevel disc desiccation pressent.
C3/C4 - Central disc protrusion present, resulting in mild indentation of the thecal sac from anteriorly. There is a mild bilateral foraminal encrochment bilaterally, sightly worse on the left than on the right.C4/C5- Circumferential disc osteophyte buldge once more, with a focal left exit foramrm. No cord signal change or deformity. C5/C6 - Circumferential disc osteophyte buldge present resulting in mild indentation of the thecal sac from anteriorly. There is bilateral mild foraminal narrowing at present.C6/C7 & C7/T1 - Apparent fusion at these levels, appearing consolidated and intact. No canal or foraminal narrowing is evident (this op took place 11 years ago).
Incdentally noted haemangioma in T 12 ( what does haemangioma mean).

COMMENT: Disc protrusion at C4/C5 &  C5/C6. Changes at the latter may occur for the patient''s left arm symptons OK SURGERY WAS PERFORMED LAST YEAR MAY.

Now the last few weeks the exact same pain is back even stronger, keeps me awake at night had another MRI done today:

A large broad based disc oesteophte complex is present at C5/6. The disc osteophyte attenuates the CSF signal anterior to the cord with mild cord deformity. No myelopathic signal change.
There is narrowing at both exit foramina,more pronouced on the left.
A disc osteophyte complex is also present at C4/5. No cord compression or myelopathy. No significant foraminal narrowing at this level. There is a very shallow disc osteophyte at c3/4, no cord compression or foraminal narrowing.The craniocervical jution is normal. There is a large haemangioma in T2 (take note previous MRI stated- incedentally noted haemangioma in T2)

COMMENT:

Disc oesteophyte complexes at C/4/5 and C5/6. There is significant foraminal narrowing at C5/6 with mild cord deformity but no myelopathic signal change.

MY QUESTION IS PLEASE CAN YOU EXPALIN THIS IN PATIENTS TERM TO ME AND WILL SURGERY BE REQUIRED AGAIN AS I''M IN A LOT OF PAIN AND HARDLY SLEEP AT NIGHT, DO YOU PERHAPS THINK A BIT OF BED REST SHOULD HELP.PLEASE I''M DESPERATE AND ONLY SEEING MY SURGEON ON FRIDAY.

Michelle

Michelle B

Firstly, a haemangioma is a collection of blood in the soft tissue. This will resolve spontaneously. Your MRI of the cervical spine shows that there is chronic changes that have to be addressed by a neurosurgeon. Unfortunately, there is no quick fix and further surgery is necessary.

I wish I can put you at ease but you will have to sit down with your surgeon and discuss all these findings in detail.

1
Posted by: Michelle B | 2012/01/27

Saw my neurosurgeon he mentioned the exact same thing. He originally had me on Lyrica but that did not work at all. Now we are trying Neurontin 100mg. I think I have used this before and it also did not work.

Please advise the does and don''ts. Do you think I should just rest etc.

Many thanks for your response.

Reply to Michelle B