Question
Posted by: Noleen | 2010/12/08

One size does not fit all

Dear Diet Doc
I always read your articles and answers and must thank you for providing us with such great service. However, I have one issue with all dieticians and similar professionals. The standard answer for losing weight seem to be : eat better, eat less, exercise more. I understand that this is a fact and that weight loss has no magic formula. I do feel though, that for people like myself, who battle with insulin resistance/chronic PMS/hormone imbalances, this solution does not fit. I have seen numerous doctors, dieiticians, endocrinologists. Have done all the right things - low GI, exercise, Ciplatrim blah blah. If I lose 2kg within six months, I''ve achieved something. This is no exaggeration. I am beginning to wonder whether I should resign myself to being overweight for the rest of my life. Surely there must be SOMETHING you can recommend, some aid that works, for people like myself. I know you don''t believe in pills and potions - but what is someone like me supposed to do? If you think there is no answer, please just tell me. I don''t want to hear the " usual"  advice, because I''ve honestly tried it, for a year and more, with very, very little result. Are some of us just always going to be overweight because of our ailments?
Thanks again for your hard work and dedication to serving us on this site.

Dear Noleen
Thank you for your kind words. If you do suffer from insulin resistance and hormone imbalances then you may well require Glucophage combined with hormone treatments. You don't mention if the doctor(s) who is or are treating you have addressed your hormonal problems with this type of treatment. Some patients with insulin resistance may also require insulin supplementation. Thus the approach to insulin resistance, PCOS and metabolic syndrome is not just a low-fat, low-GI diet and exercise, but also appropriate medical treatment. For cases that resist all conservative treatment there is the option of bariatric surgery which can produce very positive results, but does of course have a number of side-effects that need to be considered carefully before a patient has such a drastic treatment. I agree with you that some health care workers have not realised that overweight, obesity and inability to lose weight should be treated as a disease and that they are not just the result of overeating or lack of exercise. It is possible that the obesity epidemic is being fuelled by factors outside our present control such as the presence of so-called endocrine disruptors which contaminate our water supplies and thus also our food. Hopefully scientists will be able to provide better answers as to what causes resistant overweight and also come up with solutions that can be applied to such cases.
So if all the other solutions are not working for you then you may need to consider bariatric surgery. Discuss this option with your physician and if you decide that this is a treatment you would like to explore, then contact Jana Derksen at the Call Centre for the Netcare Bariatric Centres of Excellence on 0861-623-7489 or contact her at: jana@pharmacallcc.com or call her on her cell phone at: 072-373-0155 or visit their Website at www.netcare.co.za to discuss all the pros and cons of this type of treatment.

5
Posted by: Turpie | 2010/12/09

Hi Rien

Unfortionatly I can not post website adresses on this site.

Go to Google
Type in 1st Personal Diet
When the next page opens you can select the top line.

Also....

Go to Google
Type in dr cohen support
You wil find me there! Register and send me a message!

Hope this helps

Kind Regards 
Turpie

Reply to Turpie
Posted by: rien | 2010/12/09

Hi Turpie pse send me the website address, I have heard this really works

Reply to rien
Posted by: Noleen | 2010/12/09

Dear Diet Doc
This sounds drastic, hey? But who knows? Maybe something to consider....I have been on Metformin. Terrible side effects and I was taken off it. My endocrinologist suggested I could try Xenical but I''m quite nervous of how it works. I''m on vitex to help with the PMS and even though it hasn''t taken my symptoms away completely I am still experiencing quite an improvement. I think my situation is being complicated by the fact that I have three pressing issues - insulin resistance, PMS and I''m also pre-menopausal. Such is my lot for now and perhaps I should just continue doing the right thing in the hope that one day something will give. I don''t know what I''ll do, but once again, thank you for being so caring. I wish you were consulting because I would definitely see you. To find someone who at least understands the difficulties of coping with the dramas is a huge help.

Reply to Noleen
Posted by: Turpie | 2010/12/08

I agree 100% with you !!!

My husband and I were on the Low GI diet for a year, and we did very vigorous exercises. He lost very much weight, and quickly, but I only lost 12kg in the whole 12 months.

I then got pregnant, and picked up 20kg. (Not Nice) My baby is now 18months old and I just kept on picking up weight, I have tried every diet out there, and was almost at a loss of hope.

Then someone told me about Dr. Cohen''s First Personal diet, 2 ladies that work with me both lost 45kg in 6 months. At first I was very skeptical, because it sounded too good to be true.

After visiting the website, I decided to give another diet one last try... and how glad am I that I did.

I am currently 3 &  1/2 weeks on the diet, and have lost 9kg already. Without taking any Injections, Pills or Powders.

The diet uses everyday FOOD that you have got already in your kitchen.

I feel great, and am very glad that I stumbled appon it.

I have been overweight since I can remember, and have tried numerous diets and failed.

Dr Cohen works out a personal eating plan according to your blood tests (Please Note: This is NOT a blood TYPE diet) He looks at your hormone imbalance, and uses FOOD to correct it.

Do yourself a favor and visit the South African Cohen Support Forum, you will find me there, under user name Turpie.

Or send me a mail, and I will provide you with the website.

Good Luck

Reply to Turpie

Dear Noleen