Posted by: Gail | 2009-10-10

Some years ago through a work audiometry exam, it was discovered that I did not hear as well in the right ear as the left. Over the years it is becoming more pronounced and now listening to a telephonic conversation is difficult with the right ear. On occasion, I also have the rhythmic bell-like sound in the right ear (tinnitus ?). I am 55. Is this just the ongoing old-age thing that can be aided by using a hearing aid at a later stage, or is it something else that I need to do now.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Gail

One sided hearing loss could be abnormal and should be investigated by an ENT surgeon. You need a full audiogram and an investigation that may involve some radiologigal investigations. If all is normal, you may indeed benefit from a hearing aid. Your audiologist will be able to assist you in that regard.