Question
Posted by: Liza | 2010/11/18

one last question

Hi Doc, just one last question regarding my quad. it's getting better, but my husband noticed that the area is very swollen. Is this normal and if so, when should it return to normal? Many thanks for your attention!

Hi Liza

Swelling is normal after a muscle injury, because the body sends all sorts of cells to the damaged muscle to help repair it. So for example, if you do a hard session of training and get stiff the next day, you'll see the same thing, that you're swollen. That's part of the body's inflammatory process, a sign that it's healing the injury. You can actually track the process by measuring the circumference of the leg - not very scientific, but it should come down over time.

If it doesn't, then it might be that the injury is a little more severe than first thought, but it sounds like your pain is improving, and you feel on the way to recovery. So I think it's probably getting there, just taking its time - the body is on its own clock!

Keep patient, keep an eye on it and hopefully next week, you're back in training!

Ross

2
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/11/26

Hi Liza

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/11/26

Hi Liza

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc