Question
Posted by: sharon | 2010/09/07

on heat

My pup has just come on heat , I did not expect it this early , and was going to book her in next month to be spade , what do I do now?? how long do i have to wait , I have a 4 year old male , neutered and 2 older females , spade , will the male try anything with her??will they try to hurt her , and is it true that other male dogs will jump over the fence to get to her????
I am aworried , I just did not expect it this early,

Sharon

Hi Sharon

Your options are:
a) Keep the bitch away from the dog until her heat has finished and then spay her.
b) Get her spayed in season - it may cost you more.
c) You can get a hormone injection that can suppress her heat.

Oestrus cycle in a bitch. 4 stages.

Proestrus - 4-20 days: vaginal discharge, males attracted, female unwilling to mate.

Oestrus - 5-15 days: vulva is swollen,vaginal discharge: yellow, female will stand to mate.

Metoestrus - 60-90 days or 60-64 days if pregnant period after oestus or mating.

Anoestrus - 2-3 months: period of inactivity

2
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/09/08

Hi Sharon

Your options are:

Oestrus cycle in a bitch. 4 stages.

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2010/09/07

You can still have her spayed even though she is on heat. Speak to your vet about it. If not, kennel her for the time she is on heat as any un neutered male will climb over impossibly high gates to get to her. This is not a fairy tale or fallacy but true. Good luck.

Reply to Cat Lady