Question
Posted by: Lucy | 2008/10/06

On Duromine but nothing (eating disorder

Good morning doc. I am needing help and can' t understand why i just don' t lose weight. I figured out if I stick my finger down my throat and I don' t do anything but keep fluids in my body I don' t lose weight. Or if I just don' t eat anything and refrain from sticking my finger down my throat and just drink fluids then I lose weight and at a reasonable rate as well. But if I just put something in my mouth no matter how healthy I eat or how much I excersise I pick up weight badly. I went to my GP and he gave me the duromine to help me supress the eating cravings but I have not lost a single kg. I am pretty active but I just am getting bigger and bigger. I am very tempted to go back to making myself sick or just stop eating but this is so unhealthy and I can not afford to end up sick. What can I do please help. Is there help for me?

Dear Lucy
Whatever you do, DON'T induce vomiting or go on starvation diets to try and lose weight because this will lead to full-blown bulimia and that is NOT a road you want to do down. It will ruin your life and your health. So if you battle to lose weight, then I would recommend that you consult an Endocrinologist (a dr who specialises in hormone imbalances). Ask the gp to refer you or look in the medical section of your telephone book for an Endocrinologist. Tell the dr that you struggle to lose weight and that not even Duromine induces weightloss and that you would like to explore if you suffer from a hormone imbalance (thyroid, female hormones or insulin). The specialist will send you for the relevant tests. If you should suffer from any one of these hormone imbalances then the dr will prescribe the necessary treatment. At the same time you will need to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), because of you should suffer from insulin resistance or polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) then the correct diet (low-GI) is vital. Also start doing regular daily aerobic exercise (brisk walking, swimming, cycling, skipping) for 30 or more minutes a day. The exercise will not only promote weightloss, but also help to regulate your insulin levels.
Holding thumbs that you can pinpoint what is stopping you from losing weight.