Question
Posted by: LAURA KEE | 2011-07-20

ON AGAIN OFF AGAIN

I am always on a diet, i weigh 57 kg and is 1.68 tall. I am kind of obsessed with my weight but the main problem is this....i go on strict diets for days and then just one day out of the blue i would eat anything and everything that comes in my way. I know this is not healthy at all and i dont think my metabolism likes this too much. Is this normal behaviour? Im not sure if im doing this for any pshycological reasons but this will happen especially in exam periods or at times when im feeling down/alone. On days like this i would just eat even after im full or not craving the food anymore...

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Laura Lee,
You behavior is certainly not normal and healthy. What's more, your restrictive dieting culminating in an uncontrollable binge is to be expected and physiologically almost certain to happen. Why are you even embarking on restrictive diets? You weight is comfortably within the normal range and the last thing you should be doing is trying to loose weight. It is also quite clear, and not uncommon, to binge on feelings of anxiety and a depressed mood. You could enter into therapy to explore what your "hunger" is, but more importantly, you need to explore why you are dieting on a normal body in the first place. You need to understand what lies at the core of your obsessive dieting. Should you be interested in entering into therapy, send me an email of your location, and I might be able to send you a recommendation.
Regards,,
Graham

1
Posted by: Kasandra | 2011-07-26

I use to diet or eat very little or try to control my portions when I am very stressed, cause I felt I could not control certain situations I felt in control by controlling what I eat. Dont know if this make sense.

The problem with eating too strict and cutting out food groups from your eating plan is that your body lacks in certain nutrients and then you over-eat to compensate for that food groups you dont get in.

I joined weight watchers not to lose weight but to teach me that its not about How Little You eat but What you eat that counts.

You should view all food as good and dont categories them as bad or good. View them as treats not cheats.

Life is too short to obsess about food.

Maybe try to find more healthy ways to deal with stress, boredom or being alone.

I know how you feel I was stuck in that hamster wheel for years.

You can break the cycle by learning that every food in moderation is good for you. The key word is moderation.

Good Luck.

Reply to Kasandra