Posted by: theresa | 2009-01-19

omnopon a painkiller

why do hospitals still use omnopon for pain after surgery when the side effects can be fatal. How do I make sure that I am not given this deadly drug should i unfortunately land up in hospital.

Expert ImagePharmacist

If you are concious when admitted to hospital ask for this to be clearly marked on your patient file. However, if your are in, say a car accident, and you're not concious your best bet would be a medic-alert bracelet.

Posted by: sharon | 2015-05-28

Just had 75 percent of my liver removed due to cancer. Thank the Gods for Dr Joseph @ Donald Gordon, and his use of omnipon. Without this pain control, I'm not sure I'd be able to function!

Reply to sharon

given in the correct dosage by appropriately trained professionals this is a safe and effective drug. I find the original question interesting because of the use of the word 'deadly'--maybe this questioner has another agenda? Why would anyone not want effective pain relief?

All drugs are potentially deadly, even Panado if overdosed. Omnopon is reasonably safe and we have been using it for years without problems.